If your company is interested in exploring new product development or research into a new opportunity, enviroCORE can help you by adding value through world class scientific research.
- Funding Opportunities
- Industry Testimonials
We have a wide range of research expertise including (but not limited to) the following areas:
- Microbiological analysis – microbial identification, microbial ecology studies, microbiome
studies, phenotypic profiling, laboratory and medium scale (20L) production of microbial cultures.
- Genetic studies – gene detection and quantification, genome analysis, genotyping, gene expression studies, genetic engineering, genetic tagging, bioinformatics.
- Protein purification and analysis.
- Plant cultivation and growth analysis.
- Organic and inorganic chemical analysis of samples.
- Soil, water and plant analysis.
- Anaerobic digestion analysis.
- High through put microbial isolation and screening.
- Laboratory scale, greenhouse scale and field scale experiments/trials.
- Microscopy – microphotography.
- Environmental modelling.
- Tissue cell culture.
- Experimental design.
- Data collection, collation and Interpretation.
- Statistical analysis of data.
enviroCORE is based in IT Carlow’s dedicated new multi-million euro, state of the art research building, the Dargan Centre. This building accommodates researchers in areas such as design, computing and health science, providing a vibrant and diverse mix of researchers and creates an environment that encourages multi-disciplinary collaboration, leading to innovative ideas and solutions.
Specifically our facilities include:
- 2500m2 meters of dedicated, restricted access research laboratory space.
- Research facilities for more than 50 researchers (comprising post-graduate students, post-doctoral scientist, research assistants and industry based researchers).
- Full suite of molecular biology equipment including PCR, DGGE/TGGE, quantitative PCR, bioinformatics workstations
- Full suite of chemical analysis instrumentation including GC-MS, GC-FID, ion chromatograph, HPLC, HACH water analysis spectrophometer with access to atomic absorption, IR and fluorescence spectrophotometers.
- Full suite of microbiology equipment including biological safety cabinets, incubators, centrifuges, laminar hoods, autoclaves and fermenters.
- High resolution light microscopes and epi-fluorescent microscopes.
- High through-put colony picking QPik robotic system.
- Tissue culture/RNA laboratory.
- ELISA plate readers.
- 4oC research laboratory.
- Plant growth laboratory.
- Research greenhouse.
- Dark room facility.
There are many ways in which industry can interact with the researchers in enviroCORE ranging from once off analytical/consultancy services to large scale research programs. Some of the mechanisms by which industry interact with enviroCORE include:
Innovation Vouchers worth €5,000 are available from Enterprise Ireland to assist small to medium companies to allow them to work with enviroCORE to explore a business opportunity or solve a problem. enviroCORE has worked on number of innovation voucher funded projects on topics as diverse as culturing spalting fungi, chemical pretreatment of wastewater sludge, greenhouse trials of novel algae based biofertilisers and stability testing of innovated strength and conditioning food supplements.
Innovation Partnership Programmes
This funding scheme provides companies with an opportunity to carry out substantial research programs within enviroCORE (or any other eligible research institute) in which 80% of the cost of the research program is covered. The industry partner must pay the remaining 20%. Enterprise Ireland can provide up to 80% of the cost of these projects ranging from 85K to 450K.
Local Industry office (LIO)
Your local Enterprise office can offer direct financial supports to small and medium enterprises (10 or less employees).
From simple chemical-biological analysis to product development, privately funded projects can deliver immediate result. Feel free to contact us to see where we can add direct value to your business.
Other interaction mechanisms include:
- Industry funded researcher fellowships.
- SFI – Technology And Innovation Development Award (TIDA).
- IRCSET Employment Based Post-graduate Fellowships.
- Horizon 2020.
- Undergraduate degree projects.
Eoin Brett, Cu Chulainn Hurleys Ltd
“We are a Kilkenny based business and are developing a innovative process which adds value to timber through fungi treatment. In late 2014 we needed to undertake critical R&D in respect to scaling the process however we didn’t possess the resources to do so ourselves. Consequently we contacted enviroCORE at ITC and researchers in eviroCORE were happy to take on the research. The researchers were great to deal with and took a personal interest in the project throughout it’s ten-month span. We were very happy with the quality and outcome of enviroCORE’s research and have since incorporated it into our process.”
Xuemei Liu, CEO, MicroGen Biotech Ltd
Microgen Biotech is a research-orientated spin-out company from IT Carlow that provides bioremediation solutions for the cleaning of contaminated soil,groundwater and toxic sediment.
“Working with enviroCORE IT Carlow has been extremely helpful for MicroGen Biotech. Our relationship with the Institute facilitated ease of access not only to the scientific expertise, but also to the other experts and supportive advice required for a start-up including financial, business and engineering, as well as top class physical facilities.”
Guiomar Garcia-Cabellos Dunne, Scientific Director, Natural BioSolutions Ltd
Natural Biosolutions is a start-up company based in the Enterprise and Research Incubation Centre at the Institute of Technology, Carlow (IT Carlow). The company develops systems aimed at improving the bio-degradation of fats, oils and grease during wastewater disposal.
“I personally don’t think that I could have brought my business to where it is today without the help of the Institute of Technology, Carlow. Thanks to all of this support my idea has become a product which people now want to buy.”